Skip to content

Things You Should Avoid Outdoors

With summer right around the corner, many people will start spending more time in the great outdoors. Depending on where you live, hiking, camping, fishing, or even spending time in your backyard. However, while you will be safe outdoors most of the time, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t pose some potential risks. So to help you enjoy your time outside, this article will give you a list of some of the things you should avoid outdoors!

Wild Animals

It’s no secret that wild animals can be dangerous. After all, they are untamed and unpredictable, and their behavior is from instinct rather than reason. However, many people don’t realize that even supposedly “friendly” animals can pose a severe threat to humans. There are countless reports of animal attacks on people they thought were harmless every year. In some cases, these attacks result in serious injuries or even death. That is why it’s always best to err on the side of caution and avoid contact with any wild animal when your spending time outdoors. If you see one in your neighborhood, call your local animal control service and let animal control deal with it.

Poison Ivy

Poison ivy is a common plant in many forests and gardens that you should do your best to avoid. The plant contains a toxic substance called urushiol, which can cause severe skin irritation. Symptoms of poison ivy include itchiness, redness, swelling, and blisters. If you contact the plant, it is essential to wash the affected area with soap and water as soon as possible. However, if you are already experiencing symptoms, a few home remedies can help ease the itchiness and inflammation. For example, you can apply a cool compress to the affected area or take an oatmeal bath. If home remedies don’t seem to be working, you can also try over-the-counter antihistamines or cortical steroids.

Mushrooms

While mushrooms may look innocuous, many of them are pretty dangerous. Eating the wrong mushroom can lead to severe illness or even death. For this reason, it’s essential to be very careful when handling or consuming mushrooms that you’ve found growing in the wild. If you’re unsure about a mushroom’s safety, it’s best to avoid it altogether. Many poisonous mushrooms closely resemble edible ones, so it can be challenging to distinguish between them. Furthermore, even if you identify a mushroom correctly, there is always a risk that toxins have contaminated it.

Wild Berries

When you are out hiking or camping, it is crucial to be aware of the dangers of eating wild berries. While many wild berries are perfectly safe to eat, many are poisonous. Some poisonous berries can cause severe digestive issues, while others can be deadly if consumed in large quantities. In addition, some poisonous berries resemble safe varieties, making it difficult to tell them apart. It is best to avoid eating any wild berries for these reasons unless you are positive that they are safe. If you decide to eat wild berries, correctly identify them first and only eat a small quantity to avoid any potentially serious effects.

Poison Oak

Poison oak is a type of plant that can cause severe allergic reactions. Like poison ivy, this plant produces urushiol oil in the leaves, stems, and berries. When this oil comes into contact with the skin, it can cause a red, itchy rash. In severe cases, the rash can lead to blisters and swelling. Poison oak is commonly in wooded areas, but it can also grow in open fields and gardens. There are a few ways to avoid coming into contact with poison oak. First, try on well-worn trails when hiking or walking through wooded areas. If you come into contact with the plant, wash your skin immediately with soap and water.

Lightning

Lightning is one of nature’s most impressive and dangerous displays. Each year, lightning kills 49 people in the United States and injures hundreds more. While most lightning victims survive, they can often suffer from debilitating long-term effects, such as chronic pain, memory problems, and depression. There are many simple steps to avoid being struck by lightning. First, you are close enough to be struck by lightning if you can hear thunder. To be safe, seek shelter inside a building or car immediately. Secondly, avoid being at the highest point in an open area. Lightning tends to strike the tallest object in an area, so avoid standing on a hill or atop a tree if you’re outdoors.

Conclusion

There are many dangers to be aware of when you are outdoors, but you can reduce your risk of being injured or sickened by taking some precautions. Wearing the proper clothing, using insect repellent, and avoiding areas where dangerous plants or animals are known to live are good ways to stay safe. And if you do come into contact with something dangerous, take action quickly to minimize the effects. As long as you know what to avoid, you will have a good time in the great outdoors.